Thursday, July 14, 2005

THE NIGHT OF THE HEEBIE-JEEBIES

What a strange night that was, last night.

Both of us - me and the Missus - went to bed exceptionally early, possibly due to Pre-Travel Anticipatory Fatigue. As is my custom, I read for a while, until I started that old “drop the book” routine, at which time it was lights out.

Switched from the down pillow to the Granite-Block-In-A-Pillowcase, and slept like a baby. At this point I usually add, “Yep - like a baby. Got up crying three times and pissed myself twice.” But not last night. Really slept like the proverbial Dead Body.

Had a few lively dreams, too, although I’d be hard-pressed to recall much about them...until the spot in the last dream where I was standing in a room, and the door suddenly swung open, to reveal...

...I don’t know what. Never got that far. When that door swung open, I was suddenly conviced that whatever was behind it was something I did not want to have to deal with, and so I let out a shriek.

You know how when you try to holler in a dream, you can shout at the top of your lungs, but no sound actually comes out? Well, this was not one of those times. Back in “Objective Reality-World,” I howled like a banshee on steroids:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

My own yell woke me up. I sat bolt upright, heart pounding.

She Who Must Be Obeyed nearly jumped ten feet straight up, quite a feat considering she was sound asleep when I hollered out. But that scream woke her ass up, big time.

She established that I was OK, the victim of some mysterious Nocturnal Brain-Fart, but now we both were wide awake with no hope of falling back to sleep...at 3 freaking 30 in the morning. Crap.

Well, on goes the TV, and out comes the book. Then, as SWMBO lapsed back into a state of restless slumber, I left the bedroom. A little websurfing, a little Spider Solitaire, then downstairs for an early breakfast, bacause I knew that at this point there was no chance of my getting any more shut-eye.

I sure hope I can catch some Z’s on the Great Silver Aerial Bus tonight...’cause it’s gonna be a Long. Fucking. Day.

No comments: