Saturday, April 01, 2006

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN - ON SATURDAY

I returned from my four-day sojourn in Sweat City (actually, the weather was quite temperate this trip) late last night. I may be posting these on Saturday, but these are all Randomly Selected Choons that I listened to on Friday: some enroute to Hobby Airport in Houston, the others during the drive home from Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (now, that’s a mouthful). So, technically, it’s still a Friday Random Ten.

By sheer chance, we have two (count ’em!) Dan Hicks cuts, along with two from my favorite Finnish klezmer-kebab-jazz band, Alamaailman Vasarat. I’ve thrown in some lyrics, too, just for shits ’n’ grins.

Listen up:
  1. Lick My Decals Off, Baby - Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band

    Rather than I want to hold your hand,
    I wanna swallow you whole
    ’n’ I wanna lick you everywhere it’s pink
    ’n’ everywhere you think
    Whole kit ’n’ kaboodle ’n’ the kitchen sink
    Heaven’s sexy as hell
    Life is integrated,
    Goes together so well
    ’n’ so on
    Well, I'm gonna go on ’n’ do my washing
    Well, now you may think I’m crazy but I want you to
    Lick my decals off baby
    ’n’ I don’t want you to be lazy
    ’cause it’s drivin’ me crazy
    ’n’ this song ain’t no sing-song
    It’s all about the birds ’n’ the bees
    ’n’ where it went all wrong
    ’n’ where it all belongs
    ’n’ the earth all go down on their knees
    lookin’ for ah little ease
    She stuck out her tongue ’n’ the fun begun
    She stuck out her tongue ’n’ the fun begun
    She stuck it out at me, ’n’ I just thumbed my nose
    ’n’ went on washing my clothes


  2. Perikunta - Alamaailman Vasarat
  3. Shorty Falls In Love - Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks
  4. Koeeoaddi There - The Incredible String Band

    the natural cards revolve ever changing
    seeded elsewhere planted in the garden fair grow trees, grow trees

    tongues of the sheer wind
    setting you foot where the sand is untrodden,
    the ocean that only begins

    listen a woman with a bulldozer built this house now
    carving away the mountain whose name is your childhood home
    we were trying to buy it buy it buy it
    someone was found killed there all bones bones dry bones

    earth water fire and air
    met together in a garden fair
    put in a basket bound with skin
    if you answer this riddle
    you’ll never begin

    born in a house where the doors shut tight
    shadowy fingers on the curtains at night
    cherry tree blossom head high snow
    a busy main road where I wasn’t to go
    I used to sit on the garden wall
    say hello to people going by so tall
    hallo to the postman’s stubbly skin
    hallo to the baker’s stubbly grin
    mrs thompson gave me a bear
    brigitte and some people lived upstairs

    skating on happy valley pond
    various ministers and guards stood around
    the ice was nice hallo the invisible brethren
    and there was a tent you played cards with the
    soldiers in, don’t worry we won’t send anyone
    after you they screamed
    but me and licorice saw the last of them one
    misty twisty day
    across the mournful morning moor motoring away
    singing ladybird, ladybird what is your wish
    your wish is not granted unless it’s a fish
    your wish is not granted unless it’s a dish
    a fish on a dish is that what you wish

    earth water fire and air
    met together in a garden fair
    put in a basket bound with skin
    if you answer this riddle
    you’ll never begin


  5. World In Changes - Dave Mason
  6. O’Reilly At The Bar - Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks
  7. I Can’t - Radiohead
  8. Barabajagal - Donovan
  9. Hey Jude - The Beatles
  10. Jano - Alamaailman Vasarat
It’s Friday Saturday. What are you listening to?

No comments: