Thursday, April 06, 2006


Tragedy struck a Vidalia, Georgia family last Saturday when three children found crack cocaine in a plastic M&M’s container in their mother’s apartment.
Thinking it was candy, the children put the small rocks in their mouths, then ran to the toilet to spit them out. But the youngest girl, 2-year-old Diamond Johnson, returned and put some more in her mouth and swallowed.
Diamond died later that day, an apparent victim of drug poisoning.

“Our hearts go out to the family of the child; however, this death was entirely preventable,” said Representative Cynthia McKinney (D-Georgia) at a press conference held Monday morning.

“For that reason, I am sponsoring a bill that will require crack cocaine to be packaged in child-proof containers. While it is too late for little baby Diamond, HR6969 will protect other children who live with substance-dependent parents and/or care providers. This kind of senseless loss must never happen again - and believe me, I know from ‘senseless’!”

No comments: