Friday, July 14, 2006

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

Ahhh, here it is Friday again, the close of the Post-Vacation Week.

The biggest problem I have with vacations is digging out from the pile of Worky Detritus that accumulates while I am away. And aggravating all of this was the need to ride the Great Silver Aerial Bus to Sweat City this week, there to spend time with the Grand Panjandrums and Factotums of the Great Corporate Salt Mine.

One of the minor highlights of my trip was a Bidnis Dinner at which I received Official Recognition for having slogged logged thirty years in the service of the aforementioned Salt Mine. Thirty years! Hard to conceive of my having spent that much time with these Fine Folks...

The benefits of such longevity are severalfold. One, I got a snazzy Lapel Pin. Two, I got a modest gift of my own choosing, selected from an assortment of Miscellaneous Gew-Gaws. I had decided upon a digital video camera, the better to help me inflict my Visual Perversion upon the world. YouTube, look out!

But the best little 30-Year Trinket of all is my having earned another week of annual Vacation Time. I’m now up to six weeks. Schweet!

No time for vacation now, though. Sunday evening, I will begin yet another journey to Saint John, New Brunswick, just in time to recharge my Blueberry Batteries, stock up on some yummy, yummy dulce, and pay a visit to my Blog-Niece and her dashing hubby.

Meanwhile, let’s just see what’s percolating in the iPod d’Elisson...
  1. Longer Boats - Cat Stevens
  2. When I’m Sixty-Four - The Beatles
  3. Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
  4. Evenstar (featuring Isabel Bayrakdarian) - Howard Shore
  5. Tiny Dancer - Ben Folds

    Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
    Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you’ll marry a music man
    Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand
    And now she’s in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand

    Jesus freaks out in the street
    Handing tickets out for God
    Turning back she just laughs
    The boulevard is not that bad

    Piano man he makes his stand
    In the auditorium
    Looking on she sings the songs
    The words she knows, the tune she hums

    But oh how it feels so real
    Lying here with no one near
    Only you and you can’t hear me
    When I say softly, slowly

    Hold me closer tiny dancer
    Count the headlights on the highway
    Lay me down in sheets of linen
    you had a busy day today

    Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
    Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you’ll marry a music man
    Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand
    And now she’s in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand

  6. Courage, The Cowardly Dog - They Might Be Giants
  7. In Taberna - Christian Thielemann, Orff: Carmina Burana
  8. Thick As A Brick (entire album) - Jethro Tull
  9. Act II, Scene 1 - The Temple - Philip Glass, Akhnaten
  10. 3rd Planet - Modest Mouse
It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: