Friday, July 07, 2006

ANOTHER BLOGGY-VERSARY

Hard to believe, but today marks two years since I wrote the post that kicked off this Exercise in Time-Wastage and Self-Aggrandizement.

Since then, this site has had over 128,000 visitors, 87.3% of whom arrived on a Google search looking for “enema blog.” I’ve put up over 1,590 posts and have received some 2,300 4,700-odd comments, some of which were even fit for discussion at the Family Table.

It’s been a way to channel my energies, both creative and scatological.

But more important than any of this, it’s been a chance to become a part of a Strange and Growing Community, a community of people who are more than just 1’s and 0’s displayed on a computer screen, a community of people who have experienced joys and tragedies...and who throw a Damn Fine Party when the time is right.

Two years ago, the “Bloggers I’ve Met” section of my blogroll was nonexistent. The very idea of ever meeting a fellow blogger in Meatworld would never have occurred to me. Now, go look. These are not just names – they are Real People, and I’m proud to call many of them my friends.

Will Rogers once famously said, “A stranger is a friend I haven’t met yet.” True enough, as far as that goes. Sometimes, a stranger is an asshole you haven’t met yet. But I’ve found that, despite political differences, despite living lives in a myriad different ways, they Bloggity World is populated mostly by potential friends. May it be ever thus.

Thank you, Esteemed Readers. Keep visiting, and I’ll keep dumping out my Brain-Pan onto these pages. That’s the deal, innit?

No comments: