Friday, August 31, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY LOVE

SWMBO Rose 1977
She Who Must Be Obeyed, 1977 edition.

The picture above is from our honeymoon, 30 years ago this month. (In case you were wondering, we were married in June but delayed our honeymoon trip until August.) She Who Must Be Obeyed had stuck a rose petal in her mouth to create a pair of Simulated Lips. Every time I look at that picture, I smile, for it seems to have captured a certain whimsical part of her personality. It’s a suitable image to trot out every year for the traditional Birthday Post.

For, yes, SWMBO celebrates Yet Another Birthday this very day.

Last year, my lovely bride was still recovering from the aftereffects of her mandibular extension surgery and was on a Mushy Food Diet. But now, having fully healed - and, better yet, having had her orthodontic appliances (fancy-pants words for “braces”) removed in February, she is lovelier than ever.

Why she puts up with me, I will never know...but nevertheless, I am eternally grateful that she does. For she is still the Light of My Life.

I am 850 miles away from her as I write this, but b’ratzon ha-Shem - the Good Lawd willing - I will be joining her (and a gathering of good friends) for a Celebratory Dinner this evening. And now, should she choose to do so, the Missus can tuck into a thick, juicy steak. As I no doubt will.

“Bis Hundert-Tzvantzik Yoor” – ’til one hundred twenty years, my darling. I love you!

SWMBO - the 2007 Model
She Who Must Be Obeyed, 2007 edition.

No comments: