Thursday, August 16, 2007

FIRE AND ICE

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.


- Robert Frost, “Fire and Ice”

Other schools of thought hold that the world will end in a puddle of Chthulu-Spooge, but this is considered to be a minority opinion.

People in the Atlanta area would probably bet on the Fire option these days. It’s been hotter than a fresh-fucked fox in a forest fire, as they are wont to say in Texas, with daytime temperatures topping out at over 100°F almost every day this week. Gaaahhh.

Not that it’s normally cool this time of year. It is mid-August, after all. It’s supposed to be hot in the South in midsummer. But typical highs this time of year are in the upper 80’s, not north of the century mark.

I dread our next electric bill, but I would dread being without air conditioning far more.

Nothing to do for it, I suppose, than drink plenty of Gin-and-Tonics. With lots of ice.

No comments: