Saturday, August 26, 2006

THE KITTIES’ HOUR

SWMBO and the Kitties

Between the dark and the daylight,
When the night is beginning to lower,
Comes a pause in the day’s occupations,
That is known as the Kitties’ Hour.

I hear in the chamber above me
The patter of fuzzy feet,
The sound of a door that is opened,
And meowing soft and sweet.

From my study I see in the lamplight,
Descending the broad hall stair,
Hakuna, and little grey ’Tata,
A-covering the house in their hair.

A purring, and then a silence:
Yet I know by their sneaky eyes
They are plotting and planning together
To take me by surprise.

A sudden rush from the stairway,
A sudden raid from the hall!
By a couple of doors left unguarded
They enter my castle wall!

They climb up onto the sofa,
O’er the arms and back of my chair;
If I try to escape, they surround me;
They seem to be everywhere.

They almost devour me with licking,
Their paws about me entwine,
Till I think of the fate of the mousies
Gobbled up with the kibble and wine!

Do you think, O my blue-eyed kitty,
Because you have climbed on my legs,
That you will get dinner this early,
No matter how much you-all begs?

I have you fast in my Cat-Box,
And will not let you depart,
But put you down into the dungeon
In the Cat-Bed of my heart.

And there will I keep you forever,
Yes, forever and a day,
Till the Cat-Box shall fill up with Cat-Poop,
And I throw the litter away!

[Apologies to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow]

<beavisbutthead>

Huh. Huh. Huh-huh-huh-huh. Huh. He said,“Longfellow.” Huh huh.
Huh. Huh. Huh-huh-huh-huh. Huh. He said,“Wad.”
Shut up, Beavis.

</beavisbutthead>

Matata
Matata.

Hakuna
Hakuna.

No comments: