Friday, August 25, 2006

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

Huzzah! It’s Friday yet again!

Any day that starts out with a blast on the ol’ Ram’s Horn can’t be all bad. Yes, it’s that time of year - the month of Elul, kicking off the penitential season that precedes (and includes) the Jewish High Holidays. This month, it’s traditional to close out the daily morning service with a few shofar blasts, and I am the Designated Blowhard.

SWMBO and the Governormobile

Here’s a shot of SWMBO standing between the Elissonmobile and Governor Sonny Perdue’s Big-Ass SUV, taken yesterday evening when Governor Perdue spoke at our synagogue. I did not vote for the man, but Georgia seems to have fared reasonably well under his stewardship. Between SWMBO and me, our biggest issue with Sonny is that he was swept into office partially because of a strong groundswell of support among teachers - who were then roundly screwed as soon as he entered office, as he backtracked from pretty much every education-related campaign promise. But I’ll give the big fella credit: he has been a strong supporter of Israel, encouraging mutual investment between Georgia-based and Israeli businesses.

Whaddaya say we take a look at what the iPod d’Elisson has on its Random Tap for us today? Lookee:
  1. UFO’s Are Real - MC 900 Foot Jesus
  2. Mix Tape - Avenue Q, Original Broadway Cast
  3. Cry Baby Cry - The Beatles
  4. I Missed The Bus - Skankin’ Pickle
  5. Magdalene (My Regal Zonophone) - Procol Harum
  6. Myst Theme - Robin Miller
  7. Femme Fatale - The Velvet Underground
  8. Reelin’ In The Years - Steely Dan
  9. Peaches En Regalia and My Friend, My Friend (live) - Phish

    My friend, my friend he’s got a knife
    A statement from his former life
    When he was easy but alone
    Beside him was an empty throne
    But what of silver silken blade
    Affix his gaze, his features staid
    Grasps the handle, clips the cable
    One steps up, sits at his table
    My friend, my friend, he’s got a knife
    My friend, my friend, he’s got a wife

    My friend, my friend, the clever ruse
    Persuasion through his thoughts peruse
    A hidden relic from his past
    That wasn’t there when he looked last
    He feels it ticking like a bomb
    Feeding fear, assaulting calm
    Takes the object, starts the game
    Moves closer to the flame

    My friend, my friend, the clever ruse
    My friend, my friend, he lights the fuse

    My friend, my friend, he’s got a knife
    My friend, my friend, he’s got a knife
    My friend, my friend, he’s got a knife

  10. (They Call Me) Dr. Professor Longhair - Professor Longhair
It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: