Friday, October 21, 2005

CURRICULUM VEHICULAE

Inspired by the Velocimeister, his ownself, is this list of Cars In My Life:

  • Chevrolet Malibu (1965)
  • Ford Ranch Wagon (1971?)
  • Mazda RX-2 (1974)
  • Cadillac Coupe de Ville (1976)
  • Toyota Corolla (1976)
  • Toyota Corolla (1981)
  • Pontiac Bonneville G (1982)*
  • Volvo 240 Sedan (1984)
  • Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera (1986)*
  • BMW 528e (1985)
  • Toyota Previa (1994)
  • Toyota Camry (1997)
  • Ford Taurus (1997)*
  • Toyota RAV4 (2001)
  • Chevrolet Impala (2001)*
  • Honda Accord (2002)
  • Honda Element (2005)

    Cars marked with an *asterisk were company cars, provided through the good offices of the Great Corporate Salt Mine - which is to say I wouldn’t actually have gone out and bought those cars, but the price was right.

    The 1976 Toyota Corolla was SWMBO’s car, purchased about a year before we got married. Cheap-ass car with a stick shift, this little guy would sit outside overnight in -20°F weather and then start up immediately. Almost indestructible. We sold it after having had it for five years, and it fetched only $400 less than what SWMBO had originally paid for it, brand spanking new - and about the same amount we got for that big-ass Cadillac.

    That Mazda RX-2 was a honey. Heart of a lion in a dowdy exterior, it had a Wankel rotary engine and could go from 65 to 100 in seconds. I used to cruise on Houston’s East Loop, heading north from I-10, doing 105 MPH routinely. Years later, Mazda got smart and put this same engine in sportier bodies: the RX-7 and now the RX-8. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

    Alas, no Ferraris or Lamborghinis - but I wouldn’t want ’em. Now, a BMW roadster or a nice Boxster? That’s different. Perhaps I will update my Amazon Wish List.

    Is this a meme? Could be...but the onliest reason I’m playing with it is because I liked the post title I came up with. Talk about a snake eating its own tail...
  • No comments: