Thursday, May 18, 2006

I AM A CIGAR WHORE

<WHORING>

Yes, I am...for I have sold some of my prime Sidebar Real-Estate for thirty pieces of silver a continuing supply of Fine Cigars.

Scroll down the ol’ Sidebar and you will see a clever little advert for BuyMyCigars.com, a Web-based purveyor of Tasty Tobacco Cylinders. They even have a blog!

During the recent Blown-Star Blodgefest in Austin, I had a chance to sample one of the cigars these boys sent me as a quid-pro-quo for putting up a couple of sidebar links and writing the occasional review. The ’Gar in Question was a Cohiba Corona Minor, which clocks in at 4.00 x 42, a handy size for a quick smoke.

[That’s length in inches and ring gauge, i.e., diameter in 64ths of an inch, for all y’all Cigar-Impaired Peeps out there. An 8.00 x 64 would be eight inches long and an inch in diameter - a colossal cigar!]

Me, I tend to favor Robustos (4.50 x 54) for when Cigar Time is short, but this little guy delivered despite its diminutive size. It’s a Dominican (with a Mexican binder and Cameroon wrapper), which, quite frankly, is fine by me. I like the Dominican flavor profile, which is not as aggressive as Hondurans. This one had notes of walnut, cherry, and coffee at the finish.

I had a chance to compare this little fella to the Real Thing last weekend - a Cohiba (Havana) Corona. I’d be lying if I said the Cuban didn’t have more flavor and depth, but since it’s tough scoring Havanas over the Internet, you gotta go with what you can (reasonably) get.

There’s an Onyx with my name on it, and I’ll post a review as soon as I have a chance to burn it. But meanwhile, you can’t go wrong with them dinky Cohibas: I kid you not.

</WHORING>

No comments: