Friday, January 25, 2008

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

Greetings!

It’s Friday, which means it’s time once again for Blog d’Elisson’s Friday Random Ten, the weekly list of ten Random Chunks o’ Musicality as coughed up by the iPod d’Elisson.

It is a bitterly cold day in the northern Atlanta ’burbs, with a (mostly) clear blue sky. When I went to pick up the Daily Fishwrap from the driveway, I noticed that it had a light dusting of snowflakes upon it. A perfect day, therefore, for cuing up th ’Pod and listening to a few Choons as I grind out a few more reams of data for the Great Corporate Salt Mine and await the Sunday arrival of the Mistress of Sarcasm.

What’s on the box today? Let’s find out:
  1. Growin’ Up - Bruce Springsteen

    From his first album, the classic Greetings from Asbury Park, released 35 years ago this month. It’s still my favorite Springsteen.

    I stood stone-like at midnight
    Suspended in my masquerade
    I combed my hair till it was just right
    And commanded the night brigade
    I was open to pain and crossed by the rain
    And I walked on a crooked crutch
    I strolled all alone through a fallout zone
    And came out with my soul untouched
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd
    But when they said “Sit down,” I stood up
    Ooh...growin’ up

    The flag of piracy flew from my mast
    My sails were set wing to wing
    I had a jukebox graduate for first mate
    She couldn’t sail but she sure could sing
    I pushed B-52 and bombed ’em with the blues
    With my gear set stubborn on standing
    I broke all the rules, strafed my old high school
    Never once gave thought to landing
    I hid in the clouded warmth of the crowd
    But when they said, “Come down,” I threw up
    Ooh...growin’ up.

    I took month-long vacations in the stratosphere
    And you know it’s really hard to hold your breath.
    I swear I lost everything I ever loved or feared
    I was the cosmic kid in full costume dress
    Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth
    But I got me a nice little place in the stars
    And I swear I found the key to the universe
    In the engine of an old parked car
    I hid in the mother breast of the crowd
    But when they said, “Pull down,” I pulled up.
    Ooh...growin’ up
    Ooh...growin’ up


  2. American Tango - Weather Report

  3. Night and Day - Django Reinhardt

  4. Gimme Dat Harp Boy - Captain Beefheart

  5. Tol’ko s Toboy - Leningrad

    Download this song gratis from Leningrad’s official website.

  6. Beautiful Forest / The Great Hall - Russell Garcia, The Time Machine (1960)

  7. Uncle Remus - Frank Zappa

  8. Parnishka - Leningrad

  9. Song For The Dumped - Ben Folds Five

    We’ve all been there at least once in our lives, haven’t we?

    So you wanted to take a break
    Slow it down some and have some space
    Well fuck you too!

    Give me my money back
    Give me my money back, you bitch
    I want my money back

    Wish I hadn’t bought you dinner
    Right before you dumped me on your front porch

    Give me my money back
    Give me my money back, you bitch
    I want my money back
    ...and don’t forget my black T-shirt


  10. Introduction - Mukhras - Natraj

    Jazz...with an East Indian flavor. Perfect listening while you’re enjoying a plate of chicken korma and garlic naan.

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: