Wednesday, September 05, 2007

NICE RIDE

It was SWMBO’s birthday last Friday, and we had planned to join two other couples for a pleasant dinner at Seasons 52, a relatively new restaurant adjacent to Perimeter Mall.

With my flight arriving at 5:30 and our reservation at 7:15, I elected to drive directly from the Airport With The Improbably Long Name to the restaurant, where I would meet up with everyone. And, for once, the Air Travel Fates smiled upon me, for my flight from Sweat City arrived on time and I was able to make my way to the north side of town fairly expeditiously.

As I waited for everyone else to arrive, I saw that there were two - count ’em - Lamborghinis parked in front of the restaurant. And within minutes, a third pulled up. You had a bright yellow Gallardo and a couple of black Murciélago LP640’s - one of them the LP640 Roadster.

Lamborghini Murciélago LP640
Lamborghini Murciélago LP640.

We’re talking serious ride here. The Murciélago is a beautiful brute, with a 6.5 liter longitudinally-mounted V-12 engine capable of throwing off 640 BHP. It has a top speed of 211 mph (340 km/h) - impressive enough, but it can go from 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and 0-150 in 16.1 seconds. Like taking off in a Got-damn jet aircraft.

We’re also talking serious coin. The Lamborghini Murciélago will set you back almost $290,000, and that’s the base sticker price before adding the fancy options like ceramic brakes, glass engine cover (so you can show off your 6.5 liter V-12 to the boys at the country club), fur-lined toilet seat, and funhouse mirror…not to mention tax, title, and license. And insurance. I wonder how much it costs to insure one of those bad boys.

I gazed at those sciencefictionmobiles in silent envy for the five minutes it took for SWMBO and the rest of the gang to show up. And then, as we walked inside, I said, to nobody in particular, “Those cars look good enough to fuck.”

The valet shot me a raised-eyebrow glance - was this guy a lunatic? - but the Missus didn’t miss a beat.

“Go ask the valet if you can go stick your dick in the tailpipe.”

No comments: