Friday, November 03, 2006

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

Once again, the sacred Weekend approacheth. It’s Friday!

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are preparing for another out-of-town weekend...this time in Washington D.C., capital of our nation and, not incidentally, the new home of Elder Daughter. We’ll be hanging with E.D. and her boyfriend Khody - this is our first opportunity to visit their new digs just a short way from the National Zoo.

A number of years ago, we had stopped in the D.C. area enroute between Momma d’SWMBO’s residence in Atlanta and our home in Connecticut. We had planned a family trip to the National Zoo, but our plans were derailed when Elder Daughter took ill. Ever the Dutiful Daddy, I stayed in the hotel with Elder Daughter while SWMBO took the Mistress of Sarcasm to see the menagerie. By which I mean the Zoo, not Congress.

It’s a mitzvah - a sacred responsibility - to comfort the sick; even more so when the sick one is one’s own offspring. Wastebasket at the ready, I was there to assist my little girl when she suffered through intermittent bouts of nausea and Productive Retching, despite my notorious aversion to Things Vomitrocious. It was a real Daddy Moment: one that, perversely, I am today able to treasure when viewed through the misty lens of memory.

But enough of this Nostalgia. Enough, I say!

The iPod d’Elisson is - much like the stomach flu-afflicted Elder Daughter - eager to spew forth its weekly Random Assortment of Tunes ’n’ Such. Quick, get the wastebasket!
  1. The Buzzard Was Their Friend - Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks
  2. Where Is My Mind? - Pixies
  3. Creep (Acoustic Version) - Radiohead
  4. All Blues - Miles Davis
  5. Masturbation Is Healthy - Bobby Slayton
  6. Tuning - Monty Python’s Spamalot
  7. Yism’Khu - The Klezmer Conservatory Band
  8. On The Road To Find Out - Cat Stevens
  9. Immature - Björk
  10. My Shit’s Fucked Up - Warren Zevon

    Well, I went to the doctor
    I said, “I’m feeling kind of rough”
    He said, “Let me break it to you, son
    Your shit’s fucked up.”
    I said, “My shit's fucked up?
    Well, I don't see how -”
    He said, “The shit that used to work -
    It won’t work now.”

    I had a dream
    Ah, shucks, oh, well
    Now it’s all fucked up
    It’s shot to hell

    Yeah, yeah, my shit’s fucked up
    It has to happen to the best of us
    The rich folks suffer like the rest of us
    It’ll happen to you

    That amazing grace
    Sort of passed you by
    You wake up every day
    And you start to cry
    Yeah, you want to die
    But you just can’t quit
    Let me break it on down:
    It’s the fucked up shit

Say, should I give my buddy Bill a call? Since we’ll be in the neighborhood, I mean.

Bill and El

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: