Sunday, September 24, 2006

OVER AND OVER

ArmyWifeToddlerMom has tagged me with a meme, and being the Good Sport that I fancy myself to be, I will be happy to play along...if only for having the opportunity to write “ArmyWifeToddlerMeme.” There.

Anyway, the Memely Task is to name four songs that you can listen to over and over. This is not exactly the same as listing one’s four favorite songs; what we’re after here are songs that not only are good, but that bear repetition without getting tiresome. Here’s my list:
  1. With You There To Help Me - Jethro Tull

    There are several Tull songs from their vintage 1969-70 Stand Up and Benefit albums that, for me, have managed to withstand the test of time. “We Used To Know,” “To Cry You A Song,” and “Bourree” are just a few worthy of note. But “With You There To Help Me” is one of those tunes that always makes me want to turn it all the way up to 11.

  2. Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen

    Back in 1976, my standard routine upon arriving home from a day at the Great Corporate Salt Mine always involved putting Springsteen’s Born to Run LP on the turntable - yes, turntable - and cranking up the volume until the walls shook. Strangely, my neighbors never complained. They must have thought I was a dangerous nut.

  3. A Day In The Life - The Beatles

    Gotta have one Sergeant Pepper tune in here, and this one works for me, every time....even with the Pretentious Crashing Piano-Chord ending.

  4. Bolero - Frank Zappa

    Take Maurice Ravel’s classic Fuck-Tune and give it the Zappa “eyebrows”...’nuff said.

    What tunes can you listen to over and over?

No comments: