Friday, September 01, 2006

INTO LEATHER

There’s a great scene near the beginning of Woody Allen’s magnum opus Annie Hall in which the grown-up Alvy Singer - played by Woody Allen - flashes back to his elementary school classroom, source of at least a few of his neuroses.

TEACHER
(With young Alvy still at her side)

Why couldn’t you have been more like Donald?

The camera pans over to Donald, sitting up tall in his seat, then back to the teacher.

Now, there was a model boy!

ALVY (AS CHILD)
(Still standing next to the teacher)

Tell the folks where you are today, Donald.

DONALD
I run a profitable dress company.

ALVY’S VOICE
Right. Sometimes I wonder
where my classmates are today.

The camera shows the full classroom, the students sitting behind their desks, the teacher standing in the front of the room. One at a time, the young students rise up from their desks and speak.

1ST BOY
I’m president of the Pincus Plumbing Company.

2ND BOY
I sell tallises.

3RD BOY
I used to be a heroin addict.
Now I’m a methadone addict.

2ND GIRL
I’m into leather.

Well, guess who else is into leather...

Matata’s Into Leather

...and pretty much anything else she can park her furry carcass on?

No comments: