Monday, February 05, 2007

THE INVISIBLE KITTY



The Missus called to announce she was on her way home from work.

“Have you seen Hakuna today?” she asked.

I told her I had not.

I should explain that Matata leaves me alone most of the day, but inevitably there will be some kind of contact. She’ll come into my office looking for attention every so often, and should I open up a container of yogurt for lunch, she never fails to make an appearance, the better to demand the Kitty Yogurt Tax. Gotta yogurt the cat.

Hakuna, on the other hand, is a recluse. She’ll disappear for the better part of a day, coming out only when it’s dinnertime.

The Missus is convinced that if we don’t see Hakuna, it’s because she climbed up into a box spring and croaked. I’m convinced that if we don’t see Hakuna, it’s because she is being a hermit. I told her I’d find Hakuna, so as to put her mind at ease...or dispose of the body before she got home, one or the other.

Sure enough, as soon as I set out to look for the Wayward Invisi-Cat, I saw her sitting on the stairs in the kitchen. A hermit she may be, but she knows when it’s time for the Dinner-Bell to sound.

No comments: