Friday, February 23, 2007

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

It’s Friday once again. Huzzah!

This promises to be an exceptionally musical weekend for She Who Must Be Obeyed and me. This evening, we’ll head off to the Ferst Center on the Georgia Tech campus to hear Béla Fleck and Chick Corea. Now, that’s a combination to reckon with.

I discovered Chick Corea via his (still exceptional) Inner Space album, which was already four years old when I first heard it in 1970. The disc features an all-star ensemble, including Joe Farrell (sax), Woody Shaw (trumpet), Steve Swallow and Ron Carter (bass), Joe Chambers and Grady Tate (drums), and, above all, Hubert Laws (flute). Corea himself later became a force in the jazz fusion movement with his band Return to Forever, which featured bassist Stanley Clarke. Remarkable stuff.

As for Béla Fleck, about eleven years ago I was browsing through the racks at a Blockbuster Music store in Houston when I heard his strangely appealing folky-jazzy banjo picking for the first time. I couldn’t resist buying a couple of his CD’s right then and there.

It’ll be interesting to hear what the two of them come up with together.

Saturday evening, the madness continues when we see Spamalot at the fabulous Fox Theatre. This show, beyond its being a comedy and musical celebration of Monty Python (and the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail in particular), resonates with me because that is the very movie SWMBO and I saw on our first evening together over 31 years ago. I’ll be sure to bring some coconuts for the sound effects.

But enough of this prattle. It’s time for this week’s Musical Miscellany from the wonderful white iPod d’Elisson:
  1. Illegal Smile (Live) - John Prine

    When I woke up this morning, things were lookin’ bad
    Seem like total silence was the only friend I had
    Bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down...and won
    And it was twelve o’clock before I realized
    That I was havin’...no fun

    Chorus:
    But fortunately I have the key to escape reality
    And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
    It don’t cost very much, but it lasts a long while
    Won’t you please tell the man I didn’t kill anyone
    No, I’m just tryin’ to have me some fun

    Last time I checked my bankroll,
    It was gettin’ thin
    Sometimes it seems like the bottom
    Is the only place I’ve been
    I chased a rainbow down a one-way street...dead end
    And all my friends turned out to be insurance salesmen

    Repeat Chorus:
    Well, I sat down in my closet with all my overalls
    Tryin’ to get away
    From all the ears inside my walls
    I dreamed the police heard
    Everything I thought...what then?
    Well I went to court
    And the judge’s name was Hoffman

    Ah, but fortunately I have the key to escape reality
    And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
    It don’t cost very much, but it lasts a long while
    Won’t you please tell the man I didn’t kill anyone
    No, I’m just tryin’ to have me some fun
    Well done
    Son of a gun
    Hot dog bun
    Attila the Hun
    My sister-in-law is an Irish nun

  2. He Is Not Dead Yet (Playoff) - Spamalot - Original Cast Album
  3. Improvisation No. 2 - Django Reinhardt
  4. Too Much Exposition - Urinetown - Original Cast Album
  5. Friday On My Mind - Easybeats
  6. Underture (Entr’acte) - Tommy - Original Broadway Cast
  7. Longer Boats (live, w/extra verse) - Cat Stevens
  8. Swift As The Wind - The Incredible String Band
  9. Weigh - Phish
  10. Hinokh Yafo - The Klezmatics
It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: