Friday, June 30, 2006

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN - SARCASTIC MISTRESS EDITION

Friday...and I’m back in Atlanta after a brief trip to Savannah. I had gone there to say goodbye to - and celebrate the life of - a friend. Sad duty, that...but I also got to enjoy a visit with the Mistress of Sarcasm and her boyfriend Mickey.

Eric, the Straight White Guy, joined us for breakfast and then drove me back to Atlanta enroute to his home in Tennessee. During the course of the day, Eric learned that while an omelet with two cheeses is good, one containing three cheeses is even better - especially if one of them cheeses is Cream Cheese. We spent a good chunk of the drive listening to John Prine and reading Robert W. Service, great slabs of which Eric can quote (more or less) verbatim.

This week’s Friday Random Ten is dedicated to my own sweet daughter, the Mistress of Sarcasm her ownself, who celebrates her twenty-fourth birthday today. Happy birthday, kiddo!
  1. IV. Festival at Baghdad - The Sea - Shipwreck - L. Stokowski: Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherezade
  2. My Wild Love - The Doors
  3. Lakeus - Alamaailman Vasarat
  4. Day Tripper - The Beatles
  5. Tip-Toe Thru The Tulips - Tiny Tim
  6. Grandpa Was A Carpenter - John Prine

    Grandpa wore his suit to dinner
    Nearly every day
    No particular reason
    He just dressed that way
    Brown necktie and a matching vest
    And both his wingtip shoes
    He built a closet on our back porch
    And put a penny in a burned out fuse.

    Chorus:
    Grandpa was a carpenter
    He built houses stores and banks
    Chain-smoked Camel cigarettes
    And hammered nails in planks
    He was level on the level
    And shaved even every door
    And voted for Eisenhower
    ’Cause Lincoln won the war.

    Well, he used to sing me “Blood On The Saddle”
    And rock me on his knee
    And let me listen to radio
    Before we got T.V.
    Well, he’d drive to church on Sunday
    And take me with him too.
    Stained glass in every window
    Hearing aids in every pew.

    (Repeat chorus)

    Now my Grandma was a teacher
    Went to school in Bowling Green
    Traded in a milking cow
    For a Singer sewing machine
    She called her husband “Mister”
    And walked real tall and pride
    And used to buy me comic books
    After Grandpa died.

    (Repeat chorus)

  7. Thank Goodness - Wicked, Original Cast Recording
  8. Darlin’ - The Beach Boys
  9. Boredom - Procol Harum
  10. My Friend, My Friend - Phish
It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: