Friday, May 01, 2009

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

Welcome to yet another Friday Random Ten at Blog d’Elisson, that insufferable weekly feature in which I post ten tunes, coughed up at random by the iPod d’Elisson.

It’s May Day, which means that fully one-third of the year 2009 has gone down the ol’ Sluice-Pipe. It promises to be an exciting month, with Elder Daughter celebrating her thirtieth birthday (!) and Eli (hizzownself) his eighty-fourth. And at the end of the month, it will be time for my thirty-fifth college reunion, for which occasion the Missus and I will make the trek up to central New Jersey as we have done at least once every five years.

With all that preamble out of the way, let’s see what’s on the box:
  1. Chocolate Jesus - Tom Waits

    Lyrics here.

  2. Tiny Island - Leo Kottke

    I wish I had a tiny island floating in the sea
    Palm trees sway, don’t get in the way, it’s a tropical ease
    And everywhere that I keep my silence, no sound returns to me
    Just endless waves at the end of our days, the sighing of the seas

    But yesterday’s gone, I don’t know where I come from, mm-mm
    Wonder where I’m going

    The very last time that you saw me off I thought it was understood
    That I’d be gone for a very long time, I might be gone for good
    And all that time, all the time, I thought you would never fall
    It did not dawn across my mind the time that you lost it all

    But yesterday’s gone, I don’t know where I come from, mm-mm
    Don’t know where I’m going

    Sometimes I feel like a tiny island floating in the sea
    Palm trees sway, don’t get in the way, it’s a tropical ease
    And everywhere that I keep my silence, no sound returns to me
    Just endless waves at the end of our days, the sighing of the seas

    But yesterday’s gone, I don’t know where I come from, mm-mm
    Wonder where I’m going


  3. Words Of Love - The Beatles

  4. Sirba Matey Matey - The Klezmatics

  5. The Cremation of Sam McGee - Jean Shepherd

    Yes, indeed: The one and only Jean Shepherd reading the Robert W. Service classic. Eric would be proud.

  6. It Ain’t You - Squirrel Nut Zippers

  7. This Boy - The Beatles

  8. Any Colour You Like - Easy Star All-Stars

    From Dub Side of the Moon, a reggae homage to the Pink Floyd album.

  9. Harpies Bizarre - Elvis Costello

  10. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 (Scherzo) - Gerard Schwarz directing the Seattle Symphony

    “I woke up. The pain and sickness all over me like an animal. Then I realized what it was. The music coming up from the floor was our old friend, Ludwig Van, and the dreaded Ninth Symphony.” - Alex DeLarge, A Clockwork Orange

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: