Friday, November 16, 2007

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

Welcome to the pre-Thanksgiving edition of Blog d’Elisson’s Friday Random Ten, the weekly exercise in self-indulgence in which I post a list of ten Random Choons plucked from the Little White Choon-Box d’Elisson. As if anyone actually gives a crap what’s on my iPod.

It’s the Friday before the Annual American Eat-Fest. This year, we’re especially excited, as we will have a Full House. Both Elder Daughter and the Mistress of Sarcasm will be arriving Tuesday...the first time in over a decade that we’ll have both our girls here for the holiday. And as if that were not enough, Morris William (SWMBO’s kid brother) is already enroute to Chez Elisson with Nefoo William. Sis-in-law Rebecca and our fourteen-month-old niece Madison will join us next week.

SWMBO has been putting in overtime at the gym this week, working those Baby-Squeezin’ Muscles. Getting ready. Two youngins to squeeze this time!

Right now, we’re doing what we can to baby-proof the place. Madison is highly mobile, and with a mischievous streak to boot, so we’ll have to block off the staircases, plug up the light sockets, and lock up the various Household Toxins. Oh, boy.

In the meantime, let’s take a look at the Playlist du Jour:
  1. Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

  2. The Bridegroom Special - Sam Medoff & The Yiddish Swing Orchestra

  3. Mr. Bad Example - Warren Zevon

    I started as an altar boy, working at the church
    Learning all my holy moves, doing some research
    Which led me to a cash box, labeled “Children's Fund”
    I’d leave the change, and tuck the bills inside my cummerbund
    I got a part-time job at my father’s carpet store
    Laying tackless stripping, and housewives by the score
    I loaded up their furniture, and took it to Spokane
    And auctioned off every last Naugahyde divan

    I’m very well acquainted with the seven deadly sins
    I keep a busy schedule trying to fit them in
    I’m proud to be a glutton, and I don’t have time for sloth
    I’m greedy, and I’m angry, and I don’t care who I cross

    I’m Mr. Bad Example, intruder in the dirt
    I like to have a good time, and I don’t care who gets hurt
    I’m Mr. Bad Example, take a look at me
    I’ll live to be a hundred, and go down in infamy

    Of course I went to law school and took a law degree
    And counseled all my clients to plead insanity
    Then worked in hair replacement, swindling the bald
    Where very few are chosen, and fewer still are called

    Then on to Monte Carlo to play
    chemin de fer
    I threw away the fortune I made transplanting hair
    I put my last few francs down on a prostitute
    Who took me up to her room to perform the flag salute

    Whereupon I stole her passport and her wig
    And headed for the airport and the midnight flight, you dig?
    And fourteen hours later I was down in Adelaide
    Looking through the want ads, sipping Fosters in the shade

    I opened up an agency somewhere down the line
    To hire aboriginals to work the opal mines
    But I attached their wages and took a whopping cut
    And whisked away their workman’s comp and pauperized the lot

    I’m Mr. Bad Example, intruder in the dirt
    I like to have a good time, and I don’t care who gets hurt
    I’m Mr. Bad Example, take a look at me
    I’ll live to be a hundred and go down in infamy

    I bought a first class ticket on Malaysian Air
    And landed in Sri Lanka, none the worse for wear
    I’m thinking of retiring from all my dirty deals
    I’ll see you in the next life, wake me up for meals


  4. Shaman’s Blues - The Doors

  5. Prove Yourself - Radiohead

  6. Untitled 17 - J. Ralph

  7. Cours d’Amours - Tempus Est Tocundum - Christian Thielemann, Orff: Carmina Burana

  8. Smoking - Bill Hicks

  9. I Am Yours - Derek and the Dominos

  10. Reggae fi May Ayim - Linton Kwesi Johnson

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: