Thursday, March 15, 2007

LET US NOW PRAISE YUMMY MEAT

We wanted - nay, we insisted - on having some sort of Meaty Protein this evening, in honor of IEATAPETA Day.

I had planned on a thick ribeye steak, done medium rare with the red juices pooling in the plate. Bone-in, if at all possible: When there’s a bone, you know you’re eating a Former Animal.

But then we found the perfect place, hard by Georgia 400 in Roswell.

I looked at the menu, and my eyes started to bug out in anticipation.

Veal chops, from the tenderest milk-fed baby veal. Scaloppini, too.

Foie gras. I love foie gras, cooked rare, practically quivering on the plate. It ain’t exactly heart-healthy, but IEATAPETA Day comes but once a year. I could splurge.

That’s when I saw the specials.

They had wheal chops. That’s a cut carved out of a fetal whale. Whale veal: Wheal!

But what finally caught my eye was the foie gras. Not just any foie gras: baby seal foie gras.

It had an amazingly silky texture, with just the faintest pong of the sea. Served over baby arugula with a drizzle of 100-year-old balsamic vinegar, it was absolutely breathtaking. I washed it down with a glass of golden Sauternes. Wow...an hour later, and I still can taste it.

How was your IEATAPETA Day? If you didn’t get enough meat, I’ve posted a few shots below the fold.

Boeuf Bourguignon

Beefy Dinner

Beefsteak

Brisket

No comments: