Friday, March 30, 2007

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

Is it Friday yet? Yes, it is, Skippy.

It’s the Friday before Passover. The Unleavened Provisions have been laid in, and She Who Must Be Obeyed Last will repair to the kitchen Sunday to begin a frenzy of Food Preparation in advance of the first Seder Monday evening.

We’ll have a medium-sized crowd here, eleven in all - and that will include Elder Daughter, who is winging her way to Atlanta this evening. The Mistress of Sarcasm is here now, but, alas, she will not be able to stay through the beginning of the holiday. At least the two sisters will have the weekend together with us.

What’s on the Little White Choon-Box today? What Random Musical Treasures ’n’ Pleasures await? Let’s just take a look, shall we?
  1. I’m Not Angry - Elvis Costello

    From his first album, My Aim Is True, which burst upon the scene in 1977...by bizarre coincidence, the same month that other Elvis joined the Choir Eternal.

  2. Freedom Jazz Dance - Miles Davis

    We heard Brian Auger’s cover version last week. Between the two, I prefer the original.

  3. Theme from New York, New York - Skanatra
  4. I’m Willin’ - Seatrain

    A Country Ode to the Long-Haul Trucker, covered here by a folk-rock group that was briefly poular in the early 1970’s.

  5. Hey Jude - The Mutato Muzika Orchestra

    From The Royal Tenenbaums movie soundtrack. Wes Anderson’s musical choices are always a little eccentric...perfectly matched to his films.

  6. Candle - Matisyahu

    Not to be confused with “Candle in the Rain” (Melanie) or “Candle In The Wind” (Elton John). No, no.

  7. Mystery Dance - Elvis Costello
  8. Changes Are No Good - The Stills
  9. Choosing - Philip Glass

    From the Kundun soundtrack.

  10. Barnyard Story - Procol Harum

    Chicken in the farmyard,
    There’s an oven in your bin.
    You’re growing old with sorrow,
    You’re growing fat with sin.
    I was living in the graveyard,
    I was hanging from the wall,
    I was living in the desert,
    I was trying not to fall.
    Once I stood upon Olympus,
    Then the heavens opened wide.
    I beheld that flaming chariot,
    And I saw the sacred bride.
    Now and then my life seems truer,
    Now and then my life seems pure.
    All in all, my thoughts are fewer -
    Maybe death will be my cure.
It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: