Friday, January 02, 2009

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

It’s the very first Friday of 2009: time to kick off a whole new year of electronically-generated Musical Miscellany. Time for the Friday Random Ten!

The Missus and I are happily ensconced in our hotel room in Cool Springs, Tennessee. Well, technically, not in the room itself. I’m in the Bidnis Center, banging away on one of the public terminals, and SWMBO is drinking tea and carrying on a conversation with a Very Special Front Desk Person. The Mistress, of course!

A quick visit here, and then we’ll head back to Atlanta tomorrow morning to enjoy the last day-and-a-half of SWMBO’s vacation. Meanwhile, we gots us some Choons to listen to, fresh outta the little white Choon-Box! Here they are:
  1. At the Zoo - Simon and Garfunkel

  2. Na Yella Bo - Natraj

  3. Hard Headed Woman - Cat Stevens

  4. Give A Little Bit - Supertramp

  5. Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

  6. Slow Bird - Frank Zappa

  7. Twist And Shout - The Beatles

  8. Guilty - Yann Tiersen

    Is it a sin, is it a crime
    Loving you, dear, like I do?
    If it’s a crime, then I’m guilty
    Guilty of loving you

    Maybe I’m wrong dreaming of you
    Dreaming the lonely night through
    If it’s a crime, then I’m guilty
    Guilty of dreaming of you

    What can I do?
    What can I say?
    After I’ve taken the blame
    You say you’re through
    You’ll go your way
    But I’ll always feel just the same

    Maybe I’m right, maybe I’m wrong
    Loving you, dear, like I do
    If it’s a crime, then I’m guilty
    Guilty of loving you


  9. The Mikado, Act I: Our Great Mikado, Virtuous Man - D’Oyly Carte Opera Company

  10. Pachuco Cadaver - Captain Beefheart

    (Spoken: A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?)

    When she wears her bolero then she begin t’ dance
    All the pachucos start withhold’n hands
    When she drives her Chevy sissys don’t dare t’ glance
    Yellow jackets ’n’ red debbles buzzin’ round ’er hair hive ho
    She wears her past like a present
    Take her fancy in the past
    Her sedan skims along the floorboard
    Her two pipes hummin’ carbon cum
    Got her wheel out of a B-29 Bomber Brody knob amber
    Spanish fringe ’n’ talcum tazzles FOREVER AMBER
    She looks like an old squaw Indian
    She’s 99 she won’t go down
    Avocado green ’n’ alfalfa yellow adorn her t’ the ground
    Tattoos ’n’ tarnished utensils, a snow white bag full o’ tunes
    Drives a cartune around
    Bromo-Seltzer blue umbrella keeps her up off the ground
    Round red sombreros wrap ’er high tap horsey shoes
    When she unfolds her umbrella pachucos got the blues
    Her lovin’ makes me so happy
    If I smiled I’d crack m’ chin
    Her eyes are so peaceful thinks it’s heaven she been
    Her skin is as smooth as the daisies
    In the center where the sun shines in
    Smiles as sweet as honey
    Her teeth as clean as the combs where the bees go in
    When she walks flowers surround her
    Let their nectar come in to the air around her
    She loves her love sticks out like stars
    Her lovin’ sticks out like stars


It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: