Thursday, January 18, 2007

BINARY

                   MIA (OS)
Now I'm gonna ask you a bunch of
quick questions I've come up with
that more of less tell me what kind
of person I'm having dinner with.
My theory is that when it comes to
important subjects, there's only
two ways a person can answer. For
instance, there's two kinds of
people in this world, Elvis people
and Beatles people. Now Beatles
people can like Elvis. And Elvis
people can like the Beatles. But
nobody likes them both equally.
Somewhere you have to make a
choice. And that choice tells me
who you are.

VINCENT
I can dig it.

MIA (OS)
I knew you could. First question,
Brady Bunch or the Partridge
Family?

VINCENT
The Partridge Family all the way,
no comparison.

MIA (OS)
On "Rich Man, Poor Man," who did
you like, Peter Strauss or Nick
Nolte?

VINCENT
Nick Nolte, of course.

MIA (OS)
Are you a "Bewitched" man, or a
"Jeannie" man?

VINCENT
"Bewitched," all the way, though I
always dug how Jeannie always
called Larry Hagman "master."

MIA (OS)
If you were "Archie," who would you
fuck first, Betty or Veronica?

VINCENT
Betty. I never understood Veronica
attraction.

Filmgoers will immediately recognize the above exchange from Pulp Fiction, Quentin Tarantino’s magnum opus.

The premise of the scene is that there are, in many areas of life, two choices, and one must come down on one side or the other. You cannot straddle the fence.

Do you know where you stand?

Elvis or the Beatles.

Betty or Veronica.

Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie.

Dick York or Dick Sargent.

Contemporary Western Civilization or Radical Islam.

And, possibly most important of all...


Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)


Baby Bottleneck (1946)

Disney or Warner Brothers?

[Tip o’ th’ Elisson fedora to John Kricfalusi for putting up these fine animated clips.]

No comments: