Saturday, January 01, 2005

WHO’S YOUR DADDY BLOG?

BestofBlog Finalist

What a way to begin a New Year. I roll out of bed after an all-too-brief few hours of sleep so I can get up and go to shul, it being Saturday and all. And I can’t just hide underneath the covers, because I have a job to do today. I’m chanting the Haftarah, the selection from the Prophets that follows (and complements) the day’s Torah reading.

Today’s Haftarah, Isaiah 27:6 - 27:13; 28:1 - 28:13; and 29:22 - 29:23, fits right in with the date on the secular calendar:
In days to come Jacob will take root, Israel will blossom and bud, and cover the face of the earth with fruit. - Isaiah 27:6

Obviously a reference to the Peach and Orange Bowls.
Woe to the haughty crown of the drunkards of Ephraim, and to the fading flower of his glorious beauty, which is on the head of the rich valley of those overcome with wine! - Isaiah 28:1

But these also reel with wine, and stagger with strong drink. The priest and prophet reel through strong drink; they are confused with wine; they stagger with strong drink; they reel in vision; they stumble in judgment. - Isaiah 28:7

Needs no explanation. Not after the party we had last night.

But first thing I did this morning was check my comment log, and what do I find but a comment congratulating me on being named a finalist in the BoB (“Best of Blogs”) Awards. Woo Hoo!

And here’s the strange and twisted aspect of it. I’m a finalist in the Best Daddy Blog category. I never thought of Bd’E as a Daddy Blog...more of a random-ass online journal and bullshit repository. But then again, I do write about my kids and the joys of parenthood from time to time. And I’m not funny enough to go up against them heavyweight Humor Blogs. And I don’t knit, and I don’t write about cookin’ (enough) or fuckin’ (at all) to be considered in the Best Knitting or Best Recipe or Best Sex Blog categories. [Hell, at my age, the best sex you have is any sex you have.] So maybe Daddy Blog is the best descriptor out of the ones available - who knows? At least I don’t have to compete with Jay. He can out-Daddy me all week and twice on Sunday, but since he’s a panelist, I don’t have to go toe-to-toe against his daddybloggin’ ass, thank Gawd. (Or in Jay’s case, the Gawdess.)

Anyway, I’m pleased as hell to be in the company of all y’all worthy bloggy luminaries. And if you really want to make my day, feel free to throw me a vote... at least so I don’t come in dead last! We’re going for the Rocky thing here, just trying to go the full round. So (quoth the late Mayor Richard Daley) vote early and often. Just click on the big, fat, honkin’ BoB Button (conveniently located at the top of this post or on my sidebar) and it’ll take you right to the voting page. (“And here’s a nice, shiny ten-cent piece for you, sonny!” “Gee, thanks, Mr. Rockefeller!”)

Self-aggrandizement, after all, is this blog’s middle name. Blog Whore... it’s what’s for dinner!

[And thanks to Wavybrains for nominating me...what were ya thinking?]

No comments: