Wednesday, September 22, 2004

BEAUTIFUL DAY, BEAUTIFUL DINNER

Every day since this past Saturday has been absolutely glorious. Cool, (almost) crisp mornings; warm, sunny afternoons; brilliant blue skies.

And on a beautiful day such as this, what better treat to enjoy with dinner than a nice tomato and onion salad?

On the way home from The Corporate Salt Mine, I stopped off at Fresh Market for a couple of pieces of fish, and those nice big beefsteak tomatoes caught my eye. So in the cart they went.

Once home, I hacked up some lettuce for She Who Must Be Obeyed. This is because there is no way on Earth she will be eating any tomato and onion salad. Raw onions (according to her) would cause instant projectile vomiting. I have never felt compelled to call her bluff, if bluff it is.

Anyway, after getting my sweetie’s salad ready, I sliced up one of those huge-ass beefsteak tomatoes into nice, quarter-inch discs. Then I did the same with a red onion. Laid the tomato and onion slices on a heavy white oval plate, scattered crumbled Maytag blue cheese on ’em, and then drizzled the whole mess with some extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Shoulda taken a picture, it looked that good.

And then I ate the whole Gawd-damned thing.

She Who Must Be Obeyed is probably not thrilled. After eating the better part of a whole red onion – raw – my breath smells like ass.

But I’ll fix that. Fresh raspberries and cream. Some Grand Marnier, or perhaps Chartreuse.

Followed by a gallon of Listerine.

1 comment:

Cowtown Pattie said...

Since I have zilch sense of smell, onions are not a problem por moi. However, MY sweetie wrinkles his nose if eat them at suppertime. He loves onions, but they don't love him late in the evening. My favorite burger is a Whataburger with cheese and EXTRA onions. YUM. Uh oh, it's only 10:50 AM, and now I am salivating all over my keyboard.

Course, I, as an upstanding old Texas woman ( is 50 old?) grow my own 'maters. Right now, though, I am between crops, and your description of big, beefy, red ones sliced up has flung a cravin' on me.