Monday, March 16, 2009

WHAT DID I EATA ON EATAPETA DAY?

Yesterday, as my Esteemed Readers are aware, was EATAPETA Day: International Eat A Tasty Animal for PETA Day., more about which may be found here, here, and here.

We were dividing our time between Columbia, Maryland and Washington, D.C., but there was animal protein to be found in both places. Brunch in Columbia meant delicious slices of smoked Nova Scotia sea kitten salmon, along with cream cheese and butter (made from the milk of exploited cows) and bagels.

Mmmmm, smoked sea kitten salmon.

But what I was really after was meat. And I got it later that afternoon, when we grabbed a late lunch right across the street from Elder Daughter’s apartment, at a little bistro called Napoleon. (With that name, of course it’d be a little bistro.)

[As much as I would have liked to run down to Bistrot du Coin, a few blocks south, the sloppy weather did not invite long walks outdoors. That’s where we enjoyed such meaty treaty goodies as hanger steak last year with the lovely and talented Meryl Yourish - not coincidentally the originator of EATAPETA Day.]

A nicely-composed salad of endive and shaved fennel with beefy chunks of steak resting atop... a steaming bowl of French onion soup, made with a hearty beef-onion broth... I felt the warm rush of animal protein entering my bloodstream, sharpening my intellect, engaging my senses, and making my eye sparkle with merriment.

Endive and Fennel Salad with Steak
Endive and Fennel Salad with Steak.

Or maybe it was the pleasure I felt at being with the Missus together with both our daughters... who is to say?

What did you eata on EATAPETA Day?

No comments: