Tuesday, March 03, 2009

FROM THE ELISSON ARCHIVE

Jean Shepherd Triptych
“Excelsior, you fatheads!”
The late, great Jean Shepherd at the Overseas Press Club, New York, March 2, 1970.


By sheer coincidence, I stumbled upon the three photographs you see here while digging through some Miscellaneous Crap in the basement. I shot them almost 39 years ago to the day, at a press conference in New York City. The event is chronicled here.

This was real old-school photography. The photos were taken using 35mm Tri-X Pan film, and developed by hand using the classical wet chemistry. The only thing I don’t remember is whether I enlarged them (they’re 5x7") at home or in the school darkroom.

Update: I just found an amazing piece of arcana, for which I can thank the Internet - an album of Jean Shepherd reading the poems of Robert W. Service. Really!

Despite his occasional issues with pronunciation - for some reason, he has trouble with the word “sluice” - Shep brings these great poems to life with his own inimitable style. I know of at least one person that will get a huge charge out of this stuff...

No comments: