Friday, October 02, 2009

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN - HOLIDAY SEASON EDITION

Well, it’s the Jewish holiday season, anyway.

Having just gotten Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur - the High Holidays - out of the way, we still have a few more to get through before things settle down. Sukkot, the Festival of Tabernacles, begins this evening at sundown, followed by Shemini Atzeret next Friday at sundown, and then Simchat Torah Saturday evening through Sunday. Plenty of opportunities for Foodly Face-Stuffage... and, in the case of Simchat Torah, Ethanolic Drinkage as well. Oh, boy!

As if that were not enough, I’ll be celebrating the conclusion of yet another Trip Around the Sun this weekend. Yet more food and drink.

But right now it’s Friday, so we have the small matter of the Friday Random Ten to deal with first. Let’s see what the Little White Choon-Box has coughed up this morning:
  1. Perikunta - Alamaailman Vasarat

  2. Vaseline Machine Gun - Leo Kottke

  3. L’enfant - Vangelis

    This haunting melody was an unforgettable part of the soundtrack from The Year of Living Dangerously.

  4. Low Yo Yo Stuff - Captain Beefheart

  5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles

    This is the version from the “Love” mashup - very different from the White Album original.

  6. Put A Lid On It - Squirrel Nut Zippers

    Put a lid on it
    What’s that you say?
    Put a lid on it
    Oh man, no way
    Put a lid down on it, and everything will be all right.
    Put a lid on it
    Don’t hand me that
    Put a lid on it
    I’m all right, Jack
    Put a lid down on it, before somebody starts a fight.

    Say, every time I turn it loose
    You cats come down and cook my goose
    When I start I just can’t stop
    But if you keep this up you’re gonna blow your top!
    Put a lid on it
    Too late this time
    Put a lid on it
    I’ve got to get what’s mine
    Put a lid down on it, and everything will be all right.

    Well, grab your drink and clear a space
    I think it’s time to torch this place
    Now the girl’s in overdrive
    But some of your pals want to stay alive!
    I’ll put a lid on it
    I’ll put a lid down on it
    Save it for another night


  7. Act II, Scene 2: I Am The Wife Of Mao Tse-Tung - John Adams, Nixon in China

  8. Satumaa (Finnish Tango) - Frank Zappa

  9. Farewell and End Title - Bernard Herrmann, The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

  10. Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison

    I bought this album within a few months of its October 1971 release, sometime during my sophomore year in college. It was the first of many Van Morrison discs I would buy, and it’s still one of my favorites.

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: