Friday, December 12, 2008

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

Wow...is it Friday already? Why, so it is.

This promises to be an interesting weekend. She Who Must Be Obeyed is hosting a baby shower this Sunday, which means there will be all sorts of frantic cookage and cleanage disrupting my peaceful Saturday. The cookage I understand; when you have a horde of chattering wimmin in the house, you have to give them something to eat, lest they begin devouring the sofa cushions. But the cleanage? The house will be far filthier after they all leave...so what is the point, exactly, of cleaning it before they show up?

There are the kinds of questions only a Feckin’ Eejit would dare ask on a blog that his spousal unit reads.

And so, before the hammer comes down, let’s brighten things by taking a peek at this week’s Musical Miscellany, barfed out at random by the iPod d’Elisson. What’s playing today?
  1. Tell Me Why - The Beatles

  2. Canned Music - Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks

    Canned music, canned music
    Playing on the radio
    Canned music, canned music
    Without a doubt it doesn’t go
    Favorites on the jukebox
    Are only half the show, when it’s
    Canned music, canned music

    A little before she left me
    I asked her what it’s all about
    She said I feel like dancin’
    I feel like stepping out
    I took her with the van
    Where the band was on the stand, playin’
    Live music live music

    She got us on the dance floor
    To me it was a sight
    I never seen my baby movin’
    Like the moves she made on me that night
    I did not have a chance
    The way that music made me dance
    It was some
    Live music, live music
    (It ain’t canned)

    Canned music, canned music
    Playing on the radio
    (It ain’t canned)
    Canned music, canned music
    Without a doubt it doesn’t go
    Favorites on the jukebox
    Are only half the show, when it’s
    Canned music, canned music

    The rhythm was all around us
    We was really steppin’ out
    My baby said I'm livin’ for this music
    I asked her what it’s all about
    She said I’m such a silly girl
    This stuff has got me in a whirl, ain’t it
    Live music, live music

    And that was the night she left me
    Danced herself into my memory
    My baby had to leave me for the drummer
    I guess I’ll never solve that mystery
    I think I’ve learned my lesson
    Just don’t get too near the band, when it’s
    Live music, live music

    A little before she left me
    I asked her what it’s all about
    She said she feel like dancin’
    She feel like stepping out


  3. The Grotto - Bernard Herrmann, Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)

  4. The Mikado, Act II: Brightly Dawns Our Wedding Day - D’Oyly Carte Opera Company

  5. Luna - Smashing Pumpkins

  6. Samson and Delilah - The Barry Sisters and Jan Bart with Sam Medoff and the Yiddish Swingtet

  7. King Kong: Suite - Charles Gerhardt / National Philharmonic Orchestra

    From the 1932 version of King Kong, the only one that matters. Max Steiner’s atmospheric score is such a perfect counterpoint to the action on the screen, it’s hard to imagine anyone doing a better job of putting music on film...even the legendary Bernard Herrmann.

  8. Animal Zoo - Spirit

  9. Women and Men - They Might Be Giants

  10. I Am The Walrus - The Beatles

    The first and last songs on today’s Random Ten list are from The Beatles. It is a continual source of astonishment (to me) that the same group could produce two songs so dissimilar, a mere three years apart...

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: