Friday, July 25, 2008

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

It’s Friday once again: time for this week’s Dookie-licious Download and Danceable Data Dump straight from the maw of the iPod d’Elisson. Yes, it’s the Friday Random Ten!

Those of you who wonder where I got the idea to post a Friday Random Ten should know that the idea is hardly original. I first remember seeing it at Verbatim (my Blogmomma), but there were plenty of other sites doing it. In my case, I had to wait until I had an iPod...but once I did, well, the rest was history. As it is said.

A fun weekend awaits. A fast drive down to Savannah, there to pick up the remnants of the Mistress of Sarcasm’s possessions, and a fast return. But meanwhile, there are Choons to Check Out. Whadda we got today?
  1. The Sun Is A Mass Of Incandescent Gas - They Might Be Giants

    Quoth the Mistress of Sarcasm: “Someone once asked me what my major musical influences were, growing up. I told them, ‘They Might Be Giants, Frank Zappa, and the Judybats.’”

  2. Scar Tissue - Red Hot Chili Peppers

  3. Cripple Creek - Leo Kottke

  4. It’s Only Love - The Beatles

  5. Don’t Pass Me By - The Beatles

  6. Blinded By The Light - Bruce Springsteen

    Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
    In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
    With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin’ kinda older I tripped the merry-go-round
    With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground
    Some all-hot half-shot was headin’ for the hot spot snappin’ his fingers clappin’ his hands,
    And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover’s knot with a whatnot in her hand
    And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
    And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers Daddy’s within earshot, save the buckshot, turn up the band

    And she was blinded by the light
    Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
    Blinded by the light
    She got down but she never got tight, but she’ll make it alright

    Some brimstone baritone anti-cyclone rolling stone preacher from the east
    He says, Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in its funny bone, that’s where they expect it least
    And some new-mown chaperone was standin’ in the corner all alone watchin’ the young girls dance
    And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin’ with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling of romance

    Yeah he was blinded by the light
    Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
    Blinded by the light
    He got down but he never got tight, but he’s gonna make it tonight

    Some silicone sister with her manager’s mister told me I got what it takes
    She said I’ll turn you on, sonny, to something strong if you play that song with the funky break
    And go-cart Mozart was checkin’ out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside
    And little Early-Pearly came by in her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride

    Oh, some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer playin’ backyard bombardier
    Yes and Scotland Yard was trying hard, they sent some dude with a calling card, he said, Do what you like, but don’t do it here
    Well, I jumped up, turned around, spit in the air, fell on the ground
    Asked him which was the way back home
    He said take a right at the light, keep goin’ straight until night, and then, boy, you’re on your own

    And now in Zanzibar a shootin’ star was ridin’ in a side car hummin’ a lunar tune
    Yes, and the avatar said blow the bar but first remove the cookie jar we’re gonna teach those boys to laugh too soon
    And some kidnapped handicap was complainin’ that he caught the clap from some mousetrap he bought last night
    Well I unsnapped his skull cap and between his ears I saw a gap but figured he’d be all right

    He was just blinded by the light
    Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
    Blinded by the light
    Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
    Oh but mama that’s where the fun is


  7. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - They Might Be Giants

  8. The Grotto - Bernard Herrmann, Journey To The Center Of The Earth (1959)

    The 1959 version of this just-remade Jules Verne epic featured state-of-the-art cheesy effects, along with the acting talents of James Mason and Pat Boone (and the feminine pulchritude of Arlene Dahl). But the best part - to me, anyway - was the eerie score by master film composer Bernard Herrmann.

  9. I Came As A Rat - Modest Mouse

  10. Growin’ Up - Bruce Springsteen

Wow - three Double-Plays. The Beatles, TMBG, and Springsteen. A first!

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: