Thursday, August 31, 2006

LOVE OF MY LIFE

SWMBO Rose 1977
She Who Must Be Obeyed, 1977 edition.

The picture above is from our honeymoon, 29 years ago this month. She Who Must Be Obeyed had, in a fit of whimsy, stuck a rose petal in her mouth to create a pair of Simulated Lips. Every time I look at that picture, I smile. It seems to have captured part of her essence.

SWMBO celebrates Yet Another Birthday today.

Will there be weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth? Hardly. The Missus and I believe that getting older is a good thing, far better than the alternative of the Long Dirt Nap. And this year, SWMBO has something to celebrate.

Having gotten the Dreaded Maxillofacial Surgery out of the way nine weeks ago, my bride looks more beautiful than ever. Thanks to two-plus months on a no-chewing diet regimen, she has lost a few pounds here and there, and (I speak as a disinterested observer here, not a Moonstruck Hubby) she looks far younger than anyone our age has a right to look.

The surgery has resulted in a subtle resculpting of her jawline. What was plenty good-looking before has been enhanced. She is a Genuine Knock-Out.

We have been part of each other’s lives for over 30 years now, yet when I look at her, I still see the same sparkle in her blue eyes that I fell in love with all those years ago.

The celebratory Steak Dinner may have to wait until the Jaw Doc gives us the hi-sign, but no matter. I celebrate every day I spend with my sweetie...and I hope to continue doing so, at least for as long as she will continue to put up with my Incessant Bullshit.

“Bis Hundert-Tzvantzik Yoor” – ’til one hundred twenty years, darling, and may I be around to wish you a Happy Birthday for each one!

Birthday SWMBO
She Who Must Be Obeyed, 2006 edition.

No comments: