Monday, February 09, 2009

MOONSTRUCK

Full Moon 020809
Full moon over Marietta.

Yesterday, as I drove home at dusk, my attention was captured by an extraordinarily beautiful full moon.

The sky was darkening to a deep blue, the kind of deep cornflower blue that you get when a winter’s day is ending... and that moon rode above the eastern horizon, casting its lambent yellow-white light.

It appeared larger than normal, probably because it’s no too far from perigee - its closest approach to Earth. Last month’s full moon was even larger, but clouds had obscured it here.

This image does not do it justice. I would’ve needed a long telephoto and a sturdy tripod. While I have the second - not the first, alas - what I really needed, and did not have, was time: The moment was fleeting. But, for better or worse, here it is.

No comments: