Thursday, October 18, 2007

BULLSEYE

Yet Another Shopping Center

Some sixteen months back, I wrote a post concerning the ever-increasing pace of development here in our immediate area.

Development, like so many other things in our lives, is a mixed blessing. The conveniences of suburban life, the multitudinous stores, the shopping malls with their thousand catchpenny engines, the easy availability of exotic and tasty foods - all of this comes with a price.

There’s more asphalt. More traffic. And less open land, less green space.

It was in April of this year that the Trader Joe’s foretold in that post finally opened for business. And I gotta admit, the Joe offers up a nice variety of quality foodstuffs, mostly private label, for reasonable prices. But at the end of the day, it’s just another place to help me dispose of my Disposable Income.

But now, I am really and truly fucked...

...because a brand spanking-new Target just opened its doors last week, less than a mile from Chez Elisson.

On the very same spot that Elder Daughter attended preschool a quarter century ago, there now stands a Target, complete with parking deck. A parking deck, ferGawdsakes! In East Cobb County, Jawjuh!

SWMBO’s favorite discount store, it is. I’m doomed.

How appropriate that Target’s corporate logo is a bullseye...because now there’s a great, big bullseye painted on my ass. Where my wallet is.

No comments: