Saturday, May 09, 2009

BACHELOR FATHER

Bachelor Father. Not the vintage 1957 television series starring John Forsythe. Me, this weekend. An Extremely Empty Nester.

Both of the wimmens that live here with me have flown the coop. The Mistress of Sarcasm is in Savannah at a wedding; She Who Must Be Obeyed is in Arizona with Elder Daughter.

Arizona? Whuffo Arizona?

The long and the short of it is, our globetrotting Elder Daughter - having just returned from yet another trip to South Africa - wanted to celebrate her thirtieth birthday by visiting a part of the United States she had never seen before. And she wanted to do it with her Momma, the better to celebrate Mother’s Day.

How could I disagree with a proposition like that? It solved the matter of what to get E.D. for her Big Birthday... and it would give SWMBO a chance to travel-bond with our daughter in much the same manner as I did on our trip to Japan last year.

And so I am envious, but I must swallow my envy. That trip to Japan was the trip of a lifetime.

After spending last night in Scottsdale, Da Gurlz will head up to Sedona for the next several days. At some point in the proceedings, they’ll take a spin northward, to that Great Big, Beautiful Hole in the Ground. I’m hoping they’ll come back with plenty of happy memories.

Meanwhile, I’ll be flying solo - at least, until the Mistress returns tomorrow evening. It will give me a quiet opportunity to ponder the joys of being the father of (as of Monday) a thirty-year-old daughter, and to meditate upon the Passage of Time, that most inexorable of processes.

No comments: