Sunday, April 08, 2007

ELISSON DELIVERS A SERMON

Yesterday was our congregation’s annual Men’s Club Shabbat, the day the Men’s Club conducts the morning service. It may be likened to the Inmates Running the Asylum.

As a past president of our Men’s Club - and believe me, there is no better title than Past President - I had the opportunity to read a portion of Torah...and to deliver a d’var Torah. A sermon, that is. And I rarely turn down an opportunity to get up on the proverbial soapbox. Pontification “R” Us!

I will spare you the details...but I will share a brief excerpt with you, my Esteemed Readers. Because I loves ya, ya know:
...Even the most secular Jews will make some sort of token observance of Passover, and I think it may very well be because of the family nature of the holiday.

For we are, at our core, a tribal people. There is nothing that binds us quite like the ties of Family Relationships. And Pesach is a family-oriented holiday, so I suppose you might say that Pesach is the Holiday that Binds.
Yep, leave it to ol’ Elisson, to get up in front of an entire congregation and deliver a Doodie Joke from the pulpit...

...if we Jews believed in Hell, I would surely be headed for an eternal vacation in Toasty City...

No comments: