Friday, August 21, 2009

MIXED MESSAGE

I’m driving home today after a Bidnis Meeting... and as I approach my neighborhood, I notice that the vehicle in front of me is festooned with an assortment of bumper stickers.

Now, I certainly can’t get on my Curmudgeonly High Horse about people who are so proud of their political, cultural, or religious affiliations that they feel they must convert their cars and trucks into rolling billboards advertising those affiliations. After all, I keep this Online Journal: I’m therefore not in a position to complain.

This vehicle, though, gave me pause.

The driver wasn’t bragging about her Honor Roll Student. She wasn’t pimping a political candidate. She didn’t have one of those let’s-all-hold-hands-in-a-circle-and-sing-Kumbaya “Coexist” stickers.

One of her bumper stickers said “I (heart) Capitalism.” OK, cool - I’m definitely down with that.

All the other stickers carried environmental messages. “Green.” “Simplify.” “Greenpeace.” Fairly innocuous, until you remember that the Green Party nominated Cynthia McKinney for the office of President of the United States in their 2008 campaign. I’m not sure it’s possible to propose a more ridiculous - or hateful - nominee.

If Cynthia McKinney represents the best the Green Party can offer, I’d be perfectly happy to go club some baby seals just to piss them off.

But back to the bumper stickers. What intrigued me was the fact that you had all these Save the Environment messages... all plastered firmly to the back end of a black Lincoln Navigator, one of the biggest SUV’s on the market.

Huh? Wha...???

No comments: