Monday, July 06, 2009

FIVE YEARS ON

It’s hard to believe - at least, for me - but this moment marks the fifth anniversary of this site’s (extremely) humble beginning.

Five. Frickin’. Years. Who’d a thunkit?

When I started, I was looking for a wall to plaster with my miscellaneous written junk, a place to stow my Mental Slushpile. And in five years, not a whole lot has changed as regards the stuff I post about. Looking at my very first post, I see that there’s at least one fuckbomb, and significant (if slightly veiled) references to Human Excrement. And the post itself is about food. Why, it’s no less than a harbinger of things to come: All it’s missing is a cat photo.

Yep, that’s my Online Journalism in a nutshell. Food, shit, cats, and fuckbombs. And Vile Poetry. Everything else is gravy.

It’s a bizarre but satisfying hobby, this Blodgy Bidnis. Along the way, it has resulted in numerous friendships, many of which have even crossed the boundary between Mondo Electronico and Meatworld. I’ve broken bread with fascinating people, almost none of whom I would likely have crossed paths with in the course of normal life. It’s a strange, unexpected benefit of This Thing We Do.

Five years. Over 350,000 site visits. Over 3,500 posts. Oy.

A tip o’ th’ Elisson fedora is warranted, by way of thanking my small but loyal cadre of Esteemed Readers and Commenters. You know who you are. My stated - and ongoing - mission of Self-Aggrandizement and Time-Wastage could never have been achieved without your help.

As my former employer might have said, “Thanks for stopping by!” I hope y’all continue to do so.

No comments: