Friday, January 01, 2010

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN - NEW DECADE EDITION

Yes, indeedy: Not only is it Friday, it’s the first day of a new year... and of a new decade.

Did you have fun last night? We did. We partied like it was 1999 2009.

I’m not sure what people will end up calling this decade, the second of the Two-Thousands. My suggestion is the “Twenteens” - because now we can finally get away from saying Two-Thousand-Oh-Whatever and just say Twenty-Ten. It saves a syllable, too - which means that anytime you hear someone call this year Two Thousand Ten, you’ll know that that person is just a fucking blowhard who likes to hear the sound of his or her voice.

Call it Twenty-Ten, peeps. Seriously.

I can’t remember what kind of music was popular ten years ago, try as I might... and I have no idea what kind of music will be popular ten years from now. Synth-hop, trance metal, overload, bobbitty-bah, thrash-klezmer... it’s anybody’s guess. But as a certified Old Fart - a card-carrying AARP member, no less - I’ll probably still be spinning Miles Davis, Frank Zappa, the Beatles, and all that other superannuated crap. (Spinning being an already superannuated reference to the days when music was stored on flat plastic discs called “elpees.”)

But right now, it’s now, not ten years from now. So let’s see what Randomly Assembled Tunage the iPod d’Elisson has horked out for us today:
  1. Bruised - Ben Folds

  2. Dance The Night Away - Cream

  3. Chop ’Em Down - Matisyahu

  4. I Believe My Own Eyes - Tommy - Original Broadway Cast

  5. By the Sea - Stephen Sondheim, Sweeney Todd - Original Broadway Cast

  6. I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles

  7. Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon - Urge Overkill

  8. London Calling - The Clash

    London calling to the faraway towns
    Now war is declared, and battle come down
    London calling to the underworld
    Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls
    London calling, now don’t look to us
    Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust
    London calling, see we ain’t got no swing
    ’Cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

    [Chorus 1:]
    The ice age is coming, the sun’s zooming in
    Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
    Engines stop running, but I have no fear
    ’Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river

    London calling to the imitation zone
    Forget it, brother, you can go it alone
    London calling to the zombies of death
    Quit holding out, and draw another breath
    London calling, and I don’t wanna shout
    But while we were talking, I saw you nodding out
    London calling, see we ain’t got no high
    Except for that one with the yellowy eyes

    [Chorus 2: x2]
    The ice age is coming, the sun’s zooming in
    Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
    A nuclear error, but I have no fear
    ’Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river

    Now get this

    London calling, yes, I was there, too
    An’ you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!
    London calling at the top of the dial
    After all this, won’t you give me a smile?
    London calling

    I never felt so much alike [fading] alike alike alike


  9. Take Me Back - Randy Newman

  10. Sunflowers - Paul Cantelon, Everything Is Illuminated

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: