Tuesday, November 23, 2004

GRAVITY, ELECTRICITY, AND STUPIDITY: UNEXPLAINED PHENOMENA

No, Mac and I have not done the Vulcan Mind-Meld - but it sure looked that way when I dropped by Pesky’Apostrophe today:
I almost wish I were in high school again, living in one of those crazy ass regions of the country where stickers warning that evolution is just a theory are put in science texts. I am so up for a little stealth vandalism.

Crazy ass regions of the country like, say, Cobb County? Home of Chez Elisson?

Anyway, Mac has figured out how to deal with those stupid-ass stickers that remind students that “evolution is a theory, not a fact.” The solution? Retaliate in kind, with our own stickers. Quoth Mac:
Here’s a favorite of mine:

This textbook contains material on gravity. Gravity is a theory, not a fact, regarding a force that cannot be directly seen. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered.

I also like this one:

This book mentions Creationism, New Creationism, Scientific Creationism, or Intelligent Design. All of these beliefs rely on the action of a supernatural entity to explain life on earth. Scientists rejected supernatural explanations for life in the 1800’s, and still do today.

Mac concludes her screed with this comment:
Satanic theory isn’t taught in school, so why should anything pertaining to the Christian religion? You wanna learn religious stuff? Go to church.

I like Mac’s idea of slapping some stealth stickers into the local science texts so much, I just may print me up a couple thousand of ’em.

Of course, if they catch me, they’re likely to burn me at the stake.

No comments: