Friday, February 12, 2010

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

O, joy! It’s Friday!

That means, of course, that it’s time for another installment of the Friday Random Ten, the list of musical selections puked up at random by the iPod d’Elisson.

This has been a week of contrasts. I just got back from a two-day trip to balmy south Florida, and now we Atlantans are girding our collective loins for a skirmish with Old Man Winter, who is expected to dump up to three inches of snow upon us.

I guess it would be ridiculous to complain. After all, the folks in our Nation’s Capital have had to deal with something on the order of fifty-three inches of snow, thanks to two back-to-back blizzards in less than five days. The first one alone was enough to set new snowfall records; the second was an exercise in lily-gilding. Snowpocalypse? Snowmageddon? Pick your euphemism.

Meanwhile, as I await the arrival of the first flakes, there’s music to listen to. What’s playing today?
  1. Jump Up - Elvis Costello

    Everybody’s talking like they can’t sit down
    And looking like they can’t stand up
    It must be the lastest style
    And they’ve seen a lot of things that you never see
    Back on the mile up to the hanging tree
    Some people can’t keep their fingers clean
    Just clicking their heels to the beat of the scene
    Trying to keep careen until the first edition of last night’s obituaries

    Jump up - hold on tight
    Can’t trust the promise or a guarantee
    ’Cause the man ’round the curve says that he’s never heard
    Of you or me

    No tombstone would ever surprise me
    When I’m locked in a room about half the size of a matchbox
    Got holes in my socks
    They match the ones that I got in my feet
    I put my feet in the holes in the street and somebody paved me over
    I was a statue standing on the corner
    Tell me, how else can a boy get to see those pretty pleats?

    Candidate talkin’ on the radio from the “Cheater’s Jamboree”
    It must be their lastest fool
    ’Cause it’s a two-horse race and he changed his bets
    Like it was just another brand of cigarettes

    Some people judge and they just guess the rest
    They can’t understand that don’t mean that you’re blessed
    They ought to catch the Express Next Stop Nowhere
    That way you can forget

    Jump up - hold on tight
    Can’t trust the promise or a guarantee
    ’Cause the man ’round the curve says that he’s never heard
    Of you or me


  2. Back in the U.S.S.R. - The Beatles

  3. Courage, the Cowardly Dog - They Might Be Giants

  4. Tank Graveyard - Paul Cantelon, Everything is Illuminated

  5. Exaltation - Matisyahu

  6. Fixing a Hole - The Beatles

  7. Heavenly Bank Account - A Tribute Band for FZ

  8. Act III: The Maos Dance - John Adams, Nixon in China

  9. Luck Be A Lady - Skanatra

  10. The Laughing Song - Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: