Wednesday, June 08, 2005

INDY BLOGGING

This post comes to you from the sunny prairies of Indiana, with me having been deposited here by the Great Silver Aerial Bus for yet another Corporate Travel Adventure.

I’m here to visit the plant site of one of our customers, out in “Terrible Haute,” about 70 miles west of my current location hard by the Indianapolis airport. Oh, joy.

But there is always an upside to these little jaunts. In this case, said upside was the chance to have a nice dinner with Italian Tommy, one of our intrepid sales reps. Some of my Esteemed Readers may remember Italian Tommy (AKA Mr. New York Sales Rep) from some of my earlier posts. He is a Child of New York, and to listen to him talk is to imagine yourself on the set of The Sopranos. And I mean that in the best way possible.

We drove into downtown Indy for dinner at The Palomino, one of the tonier local eateries. I was wearing my Johnny Cash All-Black Duds - black suit, black collarless shirt, black shades...and at least one passerby remarked, under his breath so it was barely audible, “Yo, Don Corleone!” as we walked by. I don’t know if it was the way I looked or the way Tommy sounded. Whatever...

Dinner was a pleasure. A couple of fine Bombay Sapphire martinis and some Copper River salmon cakes to start, then a salad of field greens. Lobster ravioli. Raspberry sorbet. Coffee.

Damn, but that was a fine meal. And I learned a few things about Italian Tommy that I hadn’t known before. For example, the fact that he’s a Seventh Day Adventist. Who ever heard of an Italian that wouldn’t eat sausage or clams and who grew up davening on Saturday?

My Brothah!

No comments: