Sunday, September 28, 2008

TITS ON A BOAR DEPARTMENT

I almost did a double-take yesterday when I was in the Stoopid-Market picking up a few goodies.

Everyone is familiar with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, am I right? The kind that comes in the little blue box? Rock-hard elbow noodles, and a little packet of glow-in-the-dark radioactive Cheezy Powder Substance that makes its own gravy (just add milk!)?

I had never had any contact with that little blue box...until I was a college student eating independently (i.e., not in an eating club or on a meal plan) on a shockingly low budget. Ramen noodles... Mac ’n’ Cheese... these became staples.

Sure, we knew it was crap. But it was filling crap...and it had its own perverse, Processed Food charm.

Yesterday, I saw that Kraft now makes an organic version of their Macaroni and Cheese. Yep: Organic Mac ’n’ Cheese in that stupid blue box. Every bit as fake as the original - but organic.

Just what, exactly, is the fucking point?

No comments: