Friday, July 28, 2006

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN - BACHELOR EDITION, MIT LYRICS

The house is quiet this Friday morning, with She Who Must Be Obeyed having gone off to spend a weekend in Kansas City visiting her great-aunt Dorothy. Dorothy is still feisty as ever at the age of 94, and SWMBO would like a chance to enjoy her company while she is still Walking the Planet. It’s a Family Two-Fer, as the Momma d’SWMBO is also up there in KC, helping Dorothy sort through the bales of assorted memorabilia in her house.

Which leaves me here in Atlanta to get into stay out of trouble on my own. Heh.

Since it is Friday, it’s time to see what Random Madness the iPod d’Elisson is spewing forth. And this time, I’ll tease you with a few (excerpted) lyrics. Lessee...
  1. House Where Nobody Lives - Tom Waits

    There’s a house on my block
    That’s abandoned and cold
    Folks moved out of it a
    Long time ago
    And they took all their things
    And they never came back
    Looks like it’s haunted
    With the windows all cracked
    And everyone call it
    The house, the house where
    Nobody lives

    Once it held laughter
    Once it held dreams
    Did they throw it away
    Did they know what it means
    Did someone’s heart break
    Or did someone do somebody wrong...

  2. Uf Dem Anger - Were Diu Werlt Alle Min - Christian Thielemann, Orff: Carmina Burana

    Were diu werlt alle min
    von deme mere unze an den Rin,
    des wolt ih mih darben,
    daz diu chunegin von Engellant
    lege an minen armen.


  3. Cabin Essence - Brian Wilson

    Light the lamp and fire mellow,
    Cabin essence timely hello,
    Welcomes the time for a change.

    Lost and found, you still remain there.
    You’ll find a meadow filled with grain there.
    I’ll give you a home on the range...

  4. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head - Ben Folds Five

    Raindrops keep fallin’ on my head
    And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
    Nothin’ seems to fit
    Those raindrops are fallin’ on my head, they keep fallin’

    So I just did me some talkin’ to the sun
    And I said I didn't like the way he got things done
    Sleepin’ on the job
    Those raindrops are fallin’ on my head, they keep fallin’

    But there’s one thing I know
    The blues they send to meet me won’t defeat me
    It won’t be long till happiness steps up to greet me...

  5. Junco Partner - Professor Longhair

    Oh, down the road came a poor little Junco
    Boys, he was loaded as can be
    The poor man was knocked out, knocked out and loaded
    And he was wobblin’ all over the street

    I heard him singing 6 months was no sentence
    He said one year was not no time
    He said he had friends still in Angola
    Serving from 14 to 99...

  6. Poor Thing - Stephen Sondheim, Sweeney Todd Original Broadway Cast

    There was a barber and his wife.
    And he was beautiful...
    A proper artist with a knife,
    but they transported him for life.
    And he was beautiful...
    (spoken)
    Barker his name was.
    Benjamin Barker...

  7. Oy Chanukah, Oy Chanukah - The Klezmer Conservatory Band

    Oy Chanukah, Oy Chanukah
    A Yom Tov a shayner
    A lustikher, a freylekher
    Nitav nukh asayner...


  8. Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi - Christian Thielemann, Orff: Carmina Burana

    O Fortuna
    velut luna
    statu variabilis,
    semper crescis
    aut decrescis;
    vita detestabilis
    nunc obdurat
    et tunc curat
    ludo mentis aciem,
    egestatem,
    potestatem
    dissolvit ut glaciem.

    Sors immanis
    et inanis,
    rota tu volubilis,
    status malus,
    vana salus
    semper dissolubilis,
    obumbrata
    et velata
    michi quoque niteris;
    nunc per ludum
    dorsum nudum
    fero tui sceleris...


  9. All Along The Watchtower - Dave Mason

    “There must be some way out of here,” said the joker to the thief,
    “There’s too much confusion, I can’t get no relief.
    Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
    None of them along the line know what any of it is worth...”

  10. The Gulag Orkester - Beirut
It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

No comments: